Categories

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Revisiting STFC and Picking NCAAB ATS

As I wrote last year, if you had simply followed the crowd of Streak for the Cash in picking college basketball against the spread, you would have made a decent return, winning above the break-even threshold of 52.38%. I wanted to revisit this idea with a full season worth of data, since the best model only picked ATS winners correctly 50.93% of the time for the 2013-14 season.

I simply found regression to the mean. For the entire NCAAB season on STFC, the consensus went 116-152: 43.28%. In fact, if you had faded (gone against) these picks, you would've won 56.72% of your picks, netting a 8.28% return.

But in last season's analysis, I only took into account January 1 to the end of the season. For the 2013-14 season (from January 1-on), the trend was still reversed: 79-109, 42.02%. Again, fading these picks would've won 57.98% of the time, for a 10.69% return.

Will next year's STFC consensus picks beat Vegas or will fading those picks be the winning strategy? Your guess is as good as mine. I'm sticking with my math.

No comments:

Post a Comment